Servings: 18-24 regular muffins
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped (can sub other dried fruit)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (can sub other nuts or omit, whole or ground to a meal)
- 3/4 cup whole sugar
- Spices (1 teaspoon nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, or ginger, 1/2 teaspoon cloves, all or some)
- Hemp protein powder (2 tablespoons)
- Hemp seeds (2 tablespoons)
- Nutritional yeast (1 tablespoon)
- Flax meal (2 tablespoons)
- Dried fruit (like raisins) and coconut
- Molasses (1 tablespoon)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees ÂºF. Coat a muffin pan with additional coconut oil.
2. In a medium bowl, pour hot water over dates (and any other dried fruit) and let stand until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Whisk in egg, coconut oil, and vanilla (and any other wet ingredients).
4. In another bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, salt, nuts, and sugar (and any other dry ingredients).
5. Fold wet mixture into dry until just combined.
6. Fill muffin pan about 3/4 full and smooth the top with a spatula.
7. Bake for 15 minutes for both regular and mini muffins, or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
8. Let rest 10 minutes, then remove and move to a cooling rack.
Katie from Cincinnati, OH just won $50 for this recipe and photo! Submit yours here.