This is a wonderful, gluten-free/casein-free bread. The honey can be cut in half to yield a lighter bread, otherwise it’s very much a cake. Sugar can be substituted (2/3 cup sugar = 1/2 cup honey).
- 3 bananas
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- dash cinnamon
- 1 cup organic coconut flakes
- 2 1/2 cups almond meal (or 2 cups almond butter)
- 1 cup walnuts, optional
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, liquid
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Using a hand mixer, mash bananas.
2. Add 3 eggs and beat until frothy, 3-5 min.
3. Add honey, oil, baking soda, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon and mix until incorporated, 1-3 minutes.
4. Add coconut flakes and almond meal, and mix well, 1-3 minutes. If using walnuts, add now.
5. Bake for 30 minutes in a casserole dish centered in the oven so the bread will bake evenly. If using mini-cupcake tins bake for 12 min, regular size cupcake tins bake for 20 minutes. This is also great in a loaf pan; bake at 325 F for 40 min or until tester comes out clean.
While the cake is baking, prepare the frosting.
1. Using the hand mixer, mash the bananas.
2. Add the oil, sugar, vanilla and salt and mix until smooth. Set this aside until the bread has cooled, and then frost.
Recipe submitted by Marisa, San Jose, CA