|Gluten Free Coconut Carrot Cake|
|photo by recipe author|
Preparation Time: 60 minutes
- 1/3 cup palm shortening, grass-fed butter or ghee
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup whole sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend*
- 1 cup coconut milk**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup carrots, finely shredded
- 2 oranges, juice and zest
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup palm shortening, grass-fed butter or ghee, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole sugar
- coconut flakes, for sprinkling
In a mixing bowl, combine palm shortening, applesauce, honey and sugar until smooth. Add in eggs, one at time and beat until smooth. Add in cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder and flour. Pour in milk and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes.
Fold in carrots, orange juice and zest and pecans. Pour into greased cake pans.
Bake at 325° F for about 25-35 minutes or until cooked through and slightly brown.
Remove from oven and let cool completely on wire racks.
Meanwhile, beat together palm shortening, cream cheese and vanilla for frosting over medium speed. Slowly add in sugar and beat until smooth.
Place bottom layer of cake on serving dish. Spread a layer of frosting over cake and sprinkle with crushed coconut chips. Repeat with remaining layers.
*Gluten Free Flour Mix:
Makes 3 cups
Mix all ingredients together and use as directed.
**Homemade Coconut Milk
Courtney from Weir, KS won $50 for this recipe and photo! Submit your coconut recipes and photos here!