|Gluten Free Simply Split Pea Soup|
|photo by recipe author|
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
This is one of our favorite fall soups and so comforting when the chilly winds blow in. Delicious with a side salad. Yum!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 1/2 cups dry split peas
- 6 cups of water or vegetable broth
- 2 carrots, diced
- inner parts and leaves of 2 heads of celery, minced
- optional: leftover baked potato, diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked sea salt
Heat coconut oil in large pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion in the oil until it becomes soft. Add the garlic, stirring constantly being careful it doesn’t burn. Add cayenne, thyme, sage and parsley. Stir in split peas and water. Bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat, allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Add carrots and celery and cook until peas are soft 20 – 30 minutes more. Add the potato and heat through. The peas will thicken soup as they cook and you can add additional spices, as you like. Add the salt to taste.
Recipe submitted by Linda, Woodland, WA