|Grass-Fed Bison Meatloaf Recipe|
|photo by recipe author|
Preparation Time: 30 minutes prep; 90 minutes+ bake
- 2 pounds grass-fed bison
- 2-3 tablespoons expeller pressed coconut oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped (or grated with large grater holes)
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons pink Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup homemade breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place thawed bison in large mixing bowl and break up into coarse chunks.
In a large pan heat coconut oil. Add onions, carrot, and celery and sauté until vegetables begin to soften. Add bell pepper and garlic and sauté three minutes more. Add oregano, basil, celery seed, thyme, WOR sauce, salt, and black pepper and sauté one more minute.
Add sautéed vegetable herb mixture to bison and combine. Add beaten eggs and breadcrumbs and mix thoroughly.
Form the meat mixture into a glass baking dish lightly greased with coconut oil (this amount fits perfectly in a 7 X 10 inch pan). Cover with foil, shiny side down and bake 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake 60 to 80 minutes more until internal meat temperature reads 160 degrees. Remove the foil about 20 minutes before end of baking time to brown and crisp up the top.
About 8 servings. Delicious hot served with vegetables and rice, or cold in a meatloaf sandwich.
Recipe submitted by Mary, Des Moines, IA