Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 onion (approximately 2.5 oz)
- 3 medium sized tomatoes (approximately 13.5 oz)
- 2 whole black peppers
- 1 whole clove
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon organic whole cane sugar (or as per your liking depending on how sour the tomatoes are)
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk made from coconut cream concentrate or organic shredded coconut*
Chop the onion and tomatoes roughly. In a saucepan, add the chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, whole black peppers, clove, cinnamon, ginger and garlic. Mix well. Cover and heat on a medium to low heat. Stir intermittently.
Turn the heat off once the tomatoes and onions are well cooked. This will take around 15-20 minutes. Alternately, the mixture can be cooked in a pressure cooker.
Once done, allow the mixture to cool to room temperature. Using a blender or immersion blender, blend the mixture till you get a soup like consistency. Transfer this to the saucepan. Add sugar, salt and coconut milk. Mix well and let the soup boil once. Turn off the heat and serve hot.
Sheetal from Foster City, CA just won $50 for this recipe and photo! Submit yours here.