- 4 large organic eggs, beaten
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup organic milk or cream
- 3 tablespoons liquid (warmed) virgin coconut oil, plus more for pan
- 1/3 cup coconut cream concentrate (warmed to soften)
- 1/2 cup organic whole sugar, or desired sweetener
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups dried coconut (I use 1 cup flakes and 1/2 cup shreds)
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- 5 cups day-old bread broken into pieces
Optional: Add, according to your own preferences or what’s on hand
- 1 to 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup organic raisins
- Sliced almonds for part or all of, or in addition to, the pecans
- 1/2 cup fresh or dried or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup fresh or dried or frozen blueberries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, water and milk/cream, coconut oil, Coconut Cream Concentrate, organic whole sugar (or desired sweetener), coconut flour, salt, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed.
Fold in 1 cup of the dried coconut (reserving 1/2 cup of the flakes) and fruits or nuts of your choice, and the bread pieces. Mix only enough to evenly distribute ingredients and make sure all the bread is moistened with the mixture.
Pour mixture into oiled baking pan or casserole. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup coconut flakes (and more nuts if desired) over the mixture.
Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake for another 50 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped. Enjoy plain or topped with your favorite topping.
Recipe submitted by Carol, Palm Bay, FL
Leave a Reply