|Braised-to-Oven Fried Chicken|
|photo by recipe author|
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1 head garlic, or to taste
- Onion, to taste
- Shallots, to taste
- 6 candlenuts (or raw macadamia nuts)
- 1 inch fresh turmeric root or 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 teaspoons coriander powder
- coconut oil, as needed
- Handful lime leaves
- 2 stalks lemon grass, bruised
- 1/4 cup coconut milk*
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 1-2 cups shredded coconut flakes
1. Blend garlic, onions, shallots, candlenuts, turmeric root, and coriander powder to make a paste.
2. Heat a pot over medium heat with coconut oil
3. Sauté the herb paste with lime leaves and lemon grass until fragrant.
4. Pour in the coconut milk and chicken drumsticks – let it simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt accordingly.
5. Cook until the sauce reduces to paste.
6. Remove and let cool.
7. Preheat oven to 400°F in broil setting
8. Roll the cooked drumsticks on the shredded coconut flakes until evenly coated.
9. Place on a lined baking sheet and broil for about 20 minutes – turn over once
10. Set aside and let it cool on wire racks
Recipe submitted by Jos, Los Angeles, CA
* For the freshest coconut milk make homemade coconut milk. (See video at this link.)