|Coconut Meringue Cream Pie|
|photo by recipe author|
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 1 coconut oil pie crust, pre-baked and cooled
- 1 1/4 cups whole sugar
- 1/4 cup wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk (or 2 cups milk and 1 cup coconut milk*)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups dried coconut
1. In large saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt. Add milk and whisk to combine. Cook over medium heat until beginning to simmer, stirring constantly. After the mixture begins to simmer, cook an additional 2 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, slightly beat egg yolks. Slowly add one cup of the hot milk mixture to egg yolks and stir to temper them. Add eggs back into saucepan and simmer 3 minutes. Stirring constantly.
3. Add coconut and vanilla and stir. Pour into pie crust and refrigerate overnight.
4. Serve with whipped cream and garnished with toasted coconut. Alternately, pie can be topped with meringue: whip remaining egg whites until soft peaks form. Add two teaspoons of sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Top pie and bake 7-8 minutes in a 400 degree oven, until slightly browned.
Recipe submitted by Tammy, Union City, TN
* For the freshest coconut milk make homemade coconut milk. (See video at this link.)