|Dairy Free Pumpkin Ice Cream Recipe|
|photo by recipe author|
- 4 egg yolks from pastured eggs (I use Tropical Traditions soy free)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cups sweetener
- 27 oz full fat coconut milk*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin, fresh or canned
- 1 tablespoon bourbon or vodka (optional to keep it from getting hard)
Whisk the egg yolks, any liquid sweetener, vanilla, all spices and salt in a bowl and set aside.
Place the coconut milk and any granulated sweetener in a saucepan and bring to a simmer, do not let it boil!
Remove from heat and slowly add the milk a ladle full at a time to the egg yolk mixture, whisking as you go. If the milk is too hot it will cook the eggs
Once it is all incorporated, transfer mixture to a blender and add in the pumpkin and bourbon/vodka (if using) and blend until smooth
Pour mixture back into the bowl and place in the freezer for an hour to cool
Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the instructions or pour into a bread pan and freeze
*I did all of the spices as heaping measurements because I like the spice. You could certainly just use pumpkin pie spice as well.
* For the freshest coconut milk make homemade coconut milk. (See video at this link.)
Recipe submitted by Kate, Highlands Ranch, CO