|Pumpkin Curry Soup|
|photo by recipe author|
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 finely minced garlic cloves
- 3 1/2 cups puree pumpkin or winter squash
- 2 cups soup stock
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk*
- Salt or fish sauce, to taste
- Minced cilantro for garnish and flavor
1. Heat the oil in a heavy soup pan, medium-low heat.
2. Add the curry, ginger, cumin and red pepper flakes.
3. Stir for a couple of minutes while the seasonings roast and become fragrant. Do not walk away! They can burn in a flash and you will have to start over. Add the garlic and stir for a moment. Do not let the garlic brown. The flavor will overpower this delicate soup if you do.
4. Pour the soup stock into the spice mixture and stir well. Loosen anything that may be sticking to the bottom of the pot.
5. Put the pumpkin puree in the blender and add the soup stock. It should just fit. Blend well.
6. Warm the coconut milk in the soup pan and then add the blended pumpkin and soup stock. Salt with fish sauce or sea salt according to your own taste.
7. Serve with a sprinkling of finely minced cilantro on the top. The green of the cilantro sparkles against the orange hue of the soup. It also adds a subtle earthy quality.
* For the freshest coconut milk make homemade coconut milk. (See video at this link.)
Recipe submitted by Amanda, Hot Springs, CA