This is my favorite smoothie! I LOVE the tropical notes in it, and how flexible it can be. These amounts are not rigid, but guidelines. On days when I need to finish up some spinach, or want the extra protein and nutrient boost of greens, I add some spinach or spirulina to it! But, I love the cute orange color when it’s plain.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 2-3 large bananas, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups coconut milk*
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or coconut cream concentrate
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 2-4 cups pineapple juice (or raw pineapple and increased coconut milk)
- 4-6 cups frozen mango chunks
- 2-3 cups unpacked fresh spinach or a pinch of spirulina (optional)
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts or hemp protein powder
- Raw honey or dates to sweeten (optional, and usually not needed)
In a high-powered, high-capacity blender, add all ingredients, except for any frozen fruit. If you are opting for spinach and/or dates, this is the time to add it! I usually start out on the lower end of the liquids and increase as needed or desired.
Start blender out at low speed and slowly increase to high, allowing all of the flax seeds (and spinach) to be liquefied. Once that happens, you should have a large amount of liquid yumminess! To this, you will add your frozen mangoes, until your desired amount and consistency are reached. I often add more pure pineapple juice to get the desired tropical flavor, if it’s lacking. This smoothie is creamy, sweet, and delicious! Enjoy!
*For the freshest coconut milk make homemade coconut milk. (See video at this link.)
Tamara from Spring, TX just won $50 for this recipe and photo! Submit yours here.