|Seafood Gumbo with Coconut Oil Roux|
|photo by recipe author|
Preparation Time: 2 hours
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3 large ribs of celery, chopped
- 3 cloves minced or pressed garlic
- 2 quarts bone broth (or seafood stock)
- 2 quarts filtered water
- 1 16-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 16 ounce package frozen chopped okra (or 2 cups fresh if available)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh or dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon Himalayan salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 pound medium shrimp, fresh or frozen (peeled & de-veined)
- 8-ounce container jumbo lump crabmeat
- 1 pound crab legs
- 8-ounce container shucked oysters, optional
To make roux, melt coconut oil in an 8-quart heavy stockpot on medium heat. Add flour and stir often, until roux is the color of dark chocolate, but not burnt. This can take 30 minutes or longer to get a dark roux.
While roux is cooking, (or beforehand), chop all veggies and set aside in large bowl. Once roux is done, add all chopped veggies to roux pot at once, and continue cooking on medium heat until veggies are tender – about 10 minutes.
Add bone broth, water, tomato paste and bay leaves to roux pot. Add okra, parsley, salt, black pepper and cayenne. Bring to boil, then turn down to simmer and cook for about an hour.
After an hour, add seafood, and cook an additional 10-15 minutes, until seafood is done.
Serve with cooked rice, and garnish with chopped green onion and parsley. Use additional hot sauce if you like it spicier.
Recipe and photo by Lynelle. Submit your own creative coconut recipes and photos for a chance to win $50!