|Spicy Salmon Quinoa Fiesta|
|photo by recipe author|
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 3 tablespoons Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tomato, chopped into bite sized chunks
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon + 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cups filtered water
- 2 1/2 cups quinoa (soaked and rinsed)
- 6 – 7 frozen salmon fillets
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons organic grass-fed butter
- sliced avocado
- fresh cilantro
- feta cheese (or chevre)
- fresh lemon or lime juice
- chopped tomato
Place 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic, saute till softened and translucent. Add tomato, cayenne pepper, salt, lemon juice, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Cook mixture until tomatoes are softened.
Add 3 cups of water and the quinoa to the saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover reduce heat to low, and cook for 30-35 minutes. Let stand for 3 minutes. Fluff with fork and mix in additional tablespoon coconut oil.
Preheat oven to 400 °F.
Place salmon in a baking dish, sprinkle with red pepper flakes, chili powder, salt, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, and butter. Cover and bake for 15-25 minutes or until flaky and tender.
Garnish with your choice of toppings and enjoy!
Marijah from Columbia, KY won $50 for this recipe and photo! Submit yours here!