Coconut Quinoa Pilaf (photo by recipe author)
Preparation Time: 30-45 minutes
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons organic shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup broth or water
- 1/4 cup coconut milk made from coconut milk concentrate*
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon organic cumin seeds
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup diced organic red bell pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon organic turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon organic curry powder (optional)
- 1 cup finely chopped organic spinach
- 2 tablespoons toasted cashews
- 1 tablespoons raisins
Rinse quinoa thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer. Let the water from the quinoa drain well.
Heat a tablespoon of coconut oil in a pot. Add quinoa and toast it for 1-2 minutes until it looks a bit dry. Add shredded coconut and stir well. To this add broth or water, coconut milk and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, turn of the heat. Let it stand covered for 5 more minutes. Remove the lid and fluff quinoa with a fork. Keep aside.
In a separate pan, heat remaining coconut oil. Add the cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds start popping, add the chopped onions and garlic. SautÃ© until onion looks translucent. Then add the diced red bell pepper, turmeric powder, curry powder and salt. Stir well. Cover and cook till the bell pepper is cooked. Add spinach. Stir and cook until the spinach looks wilted. Turn of the heat. To this add the cooked quinoa, cashews and raisins. Mix well and serve hot.
*Mix 1-4 teaspoons coconut cream concentrate per 1 cup water. Adjust to taste.
Sheetal from Foster City, CA just won $50 for this recipe and photo! Submit yours here.