Thai Coconut Curry
|Thai Coconut Curry|
|photo by recipe author|
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or approximately 1 1/2 – 2 cups chopped raw chicken, or about 1 pound thinly sliced beef or meat of your choice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, ground, or freshly grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon corn starch or arrowroot starch, optional
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 thinly sliced bell pepper
- 1 large peeled and coined carrot
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2-3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 inch grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper powder, optional
- 2 cups coconut milk*
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon organic whole sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped basil, optional
Mix all marinated meat ingredients together in a container with a cover, and allow to marinate in refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
In a medium skillet, melt the coconut oil over high heat and saute onion, bell pepper and carrot until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the veggies and keep warm in a covered bowl.
In the same skillet, melt 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Add the marinated meat and saute over medium high heat until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Lower heat to medium and push the meat to one side of the pan. Add the curry paste ingredients to the open side of the skillet and stir together until combined.
Add coconut milk to the skillet. Add the salt and sugar and stir thoroughly to incorporate curry paste. Cook over medium heat until beginning to boil, stirring continuously. Add the veggies and the basil, if using. Serve hot over Jasmine rice.
*For the freshest coconut milk make homemade coconut milk. (See video at this link.)
Melodie from Fort Mill, South Carolina won $50 for this recipe! Submit yours here!